About AussieDNS

What is it?

Well, basically its yet another public DNS site where people can create and host their own primary or secondary DNS zones, along with other features like URL and email forwarding, all the usual DNS stuff, and tools.

Some might ask Why? There are hundreds of domains registered relating to DNS, or at least it seemed that way when I was searching for an available domain name, but even though I use DNS services myself for a few secondary zones, Ive never managed to find one that actually works well. I mean, they work, but for example the one I use the most has a DNS checking tool that stopped working about a year ago when the root name servers changed, and it hasnt worked since, and although they have stats for each of your hosted domains, the stats show 6 months, in ASCENDING order, so while ive been using the site for over 5 years, Ive only ever seen my first 6 months of stats. I emailed them about that one several years ago. No response. Despite the user interface problems, its been very reliable on the DNS front, which is why I use it.

Another site I found recently, while being one of the bigger ones, seems to have everything crammed into a single plain page, from your domain list, to the editing of your primary and secondary records. They claim to have been in the business for about 10 years! I could do a better user interface than that in about 10 minutes!

I set up a secondary there to check it out. Its been over a week, and I havnt seen a single AXFR on my primary DNS from them. Im guessing no one is at the controls there either. The web site sure could have done with some updates in 10 years, but no one seems to have bothered.

I may check out a few others, since im about to max out the limited number of domains that my free accounts can handle, but why not just set up my own. I have the skills and resources, and im sure others will benefit from it too. Like I said earlier... its been on my mind for a while.

So I have a nice web framework that ive been working on over the last couple of years, and it shouldnt be too hard to just drop this on top of it. Even on day one it will be better than the second example above, and it will improve over time as I work on it.

No comments:

Post a Comment